Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How to watch YouTube on your TV?

How to watch YouTube and other RSS feed video/audio podcast on your TV.

Ever wanted to watch your YouTube stuff on the TV? Well I do, especially if I do not need to wake for it to download as well… Well here’s how.

You need a Digital Media Adapter. In my current setup, I’m using a Philips Streamium series, SLM5500. It has got a wireless 802.11g network port which I connect to my WiFi router. My pc(laptop) is then wired(mostly)/wirelessly connected to the internet.

Since Philips comes with a Media-Manager software, I chose to install a program call TVersity (www.tversity.com) on my PC running XP. It’s free for now, in its beta testing version 0.9.9.2(beta), however it is incredible software.

Step 1
Download and install Tversity from http://download.tversity.com/TVersity_Setup_0_9_9_2.exe and install into my PC.

Step 2
Download and install the free codec from http://www.free-codecs.com/, I used the full package “K_Lite_Codec_Pack” which have most of the stuff required already.

Step 3
After the installation,
I modified the file "C:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\profile.xml” by adding my own SLM5500 profile.

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=2117&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Although you might have to replace the Sony Vaio profile instead.

I then added another file call “C:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\UPNP_AV_MediaServer_1.0.slm.xml” in the same directory so that I could rename the display name.

All I did was to copy the UPNP_AV_MediaServer_1.0.default.xml and change one line
"friendlyName "TVersity for Philips "/friendlyName"

So that I could get a better display name.

Step 4
Start TVersity by clicking on the icon, go to the
> Settings tab
> Transcoder - Video and Image resolution is 720x576.
> Internet Feeds set
Max download files is 4
Number of New items is 200.
(I just want to buffer as many stuff overnight as possible)


Ø Add Internet Feed / Podcast > Add Video Feed

Ø Video Feed : http://youtube.com/rss/global/top_viewed_today.rss

Ø


After that add as much RSS feeds and let the PC running. It will download content overnight and you should have enough content to keep yourself entertain for awhile.

No comments: