Thursday, March 8, 2007

Media Converter Part 2_b: VOB vs XVID

VOB and XVID at 2 times and 4 times size

Well, well.. I used the mediacoder alright. There are more options and hence more confusing.. rr or is it because I got use to Super?

Anyway it took a really long time to convert a DVD to xvid. The end result was a bigger file from 4.36GB DVD to 1.47GB xvids. It took me a very long time, 3hrs and 18minutes. I'm going to try again with a different setting today.

Been wondering whelther there's really lost in the video. So I take a look at the old jpeg snapshots again. Turns out that if I blew up the picture by 200% I can tell the differences slightly.

Hint: look at the shadow.

If you still don't quite see it. Here's the 400% blown up version.

Hint: Look at the shadow and the ear.

The right picture is the original DVD and the left the xvid. The DVD has smoother curves and less "squares". So unless you have a very good eyesight on a full HD 42" TV, chances are you won't be able to notice.

No comments: