Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Media Converter Part 2: VOB vs XVID

Is there a different in the video quality between a ripped DVD and xvid compressed one?

I was helping a friend with DVD, unfortunately he had a 2 layer DVD. My suggestion was to either used DVD shrink and choose a 75% or so quality or convert the movie from Mpeg2(DVD) to Mpeg4(Xvid).
Finally he chose DVD shrink to downsize casue that's straight forward.
I was wondering what's the quality difference between my DVD and the Xvid ones. Here I used Super to convert DVD(Mpeg2) to Xvid as outline earlier.
Definitely the size changed. From 1GB file to only 262MB. Here is a screen shot.See if u can tell the differences. To me they are pretty close. On screen the Xvid one is abit darker in contrast.

Ripped DVD using DVD shrink(100%) on my Harddisk.

Converted to Xvid@2Mbps mp3@192kbits, 48khz

No comments: